Cybersecurity is one of the most important challenges of our time, which is why President Biden has made strengthening US cybersecurity capabilities a top priority and has already taken steps to move forward, even with the Executive Order last week. The American Jobs Plan will build on this work and provide a resilient infrastructure for the American people, including a renovated power grid. Cybersecurity is a key part of the resilience and infrastructure construction of the future, and the American Jobs Plan will allocate opportunities and resources to strengthen cyber defense. Specifically, the American Jobs Plan:
- Earn $ 20 billion in energy infrastructure investments for state, local and tribal governments contingent on cyber modernization: Governors, mayors and lawmakers have adopted ambitious goals to modernize the energy system that have already boosted significant private investment in grid upgrades, clean electricity and US cybersecurity. This $ 20 billion investment in DOE-managed energy system modernization block grants would support critical infrastructure (additional grid resilience, clean electricity, and cybersecurity efforts) and drive early state and local government action that creates a favorable environment to increase private investment, creating jobs, reducing pollution and increasing security.
Specifically, these subsidies for modernization blocks will be related to the use and compliance with 21st century energy, technology and safety standards. Eligibility for these grants will also depend on policies that require the installation of technology that detects and blocks malicious cyber activity on information technology and operational networks, in accordance with privacy protections. States and local governments will be able to use these investments to directly fund independent cyber infrastructure and networks that have closed Internet access, which would strengthen the resilience of a clean energy network.
- Promote a secure network with the historic $ 100 billion broadband investment from the American Jobs Plan. President Biden’s American employment plan will provide high-speed, reliable, and affordable broadband to all Americans. This historic investment will also foster network security. Grant recipients will be asked to come from “trusted providers” and to give preference to open and interoperable architecture when possible and to implement cybersecurity in accordance with the approaches and priorities outlined in the Order. executive on cybersecurity of May 12, 2021.
- Create a new tax credit for the transmission infrastructure that will do this help fund cyber technologies for the electricity grid. President Biden’s US employment plan includes an investment-specific tax credit that encourages the accumulation of at least 20 gigawatts of high-voltage power lines and mobilizes tens of billions of private capital outside the control line. These tax credits will also foster stronger cybersecurity capabilities.
- Protect resistance to critical networks and infrastructures. The US employment plan allocates $ 2 billion to support microgrids and distributed energy infrastructure for the resilience of networks to areas at high risk of power outages, critical infrastructure and front-line communities . These funds will also be used to reduce transmission risk, including planning grants, expansion grants, wintering and flooding efforts, and supply chain preparation (including equipment reserves. ). As cybersecurity is a key part of resilience, this funding will depend on meeting and maintaining compliance with modern sensor and information requirements, with a portion of the funding reserved for investments in independent infrastructure and networks with strict cybersecurity controls, including tightly closed Internet access. And, similar to subsidies for clean energy blocks and the tax credit for transmission infrastructure, these funds will require recipients to install cybersecurity features that detect and block malicious cyber activities.
In addition to the historic investments in cybersecurity described in the American Jobs Plan, President Biden has called on Congress to launch the most ambitious effort in history to modernize and protect federal networks and IT. The president raised more than $ 1 billion for this initiative through the American Rescue Plan. The American rescue plan:
- Expand and improve the technological modernization fund. The president’s U.S. rescue plan included $ 1 billion for the Technology Modernization Fund, which will be used to deploy immediate security updates, facilitate the shift to a secure cloud infrastructure, improve the core technology that is it uses the entire federal government and help agencies provide services to the American people.
- Improve security monitoring and incident response activities. The American Rescue Plan provided $ 650 million to the Cyber Security and Information Security Agency (CISA), which will be used to enhance CISA’s response capabilities, enhance its ability to support security projects in agencies and departments and deploy modern endpoint protections for federal civilian population networks.